Monday, January 31, 2011

Money

Money is a liquid asset. If you're loose with it, you'll wake up one day and realize that it goes down the drain. For most of my life, I've worked and received salaries, paid the right taxes and bought things that I could afford. In short, I survived.

But as I reached my thirties, with four more years before I turn forty, I can't help but look back and think about what I've done with money. I don't have savings to boast of and I'm not proud of it. Don't shut me out just yet, I am a firm believer that God provides all our needs (which includes money) but I also believe that He is a God of order and peace. As He has taught me how to harvest, He also taught me to sow.

If I own a passbook, all of it down to the last cent has been an effort of someone who knows how to save and invest. My mom has been the epitome of money management. She did not even reach first year high school but she learned how to let money work for her better than the best CPA could (at least in my opinion). One lesson that she taught me is this: The amount does not matter at all, just be consistent in your savings. And I saw it in her, whether she earned thousands or a few tens, most of it went to the bank. One of my fondest memories, was the time when I carried coins to the bank for deposit. And once those coins were in the bank , they're no longer her money and she starts saving again. Sure, I didn't understand it then but it's all so clear to me now. Simply put, I don't need much to start saving.

If we can be trusted with little, then God can trust us with much. It's all about taking responsibility. I believe that what I received from my mom is a seed provided by God. Money can work for me and not the other way around.

This has been a recent lesson. And I take it upon my shoulders to share this to those I care about and to those who will come my way.

If you are young and reading this– there is no other time to start living your dreams but NOW. Look at your life as one big building, talk to an architect (a financial architect at that), share your dreams and let him design your finances one room at a time. And year after year, take a look at how it unfolds into reality.

If you think you are old and hopeless...well, think again perhaps a financial doctor can help you. It's never too late to start something that's best for you.

With God's provisions come responsibility and accountability. If I am to leave this world, I want to at least leave my loves ones (and my church) with money... and not bills to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment